Copyright 2007 Lydia Hinshaw
ORMOND BEACH, FL -- In recent weeks, I've heard several rumors about myself, all of them exciting, none of them true.
It occurs to me that I should clarify things here, lest some of these stories find their way to the tax assessor's office.
I am still a legal resident of Volusia County, in full compliance with the homestead exemption rules. I live in the same house with the same cats and the same boyfriend. I have not moved to Colorado, Montana, Alaska or North Carolina.
Think of me as a sort of blue-collar snowbird. For a few months each summer, I secure gainful employment in the tourism industry somewhere far to the north and west of here.
Winters, I'm home again, working part time at something or other (lifeguarding and bus-driving right now), wrestling with endless home maintenance projects and trying to get two hours worth of exercise every day.
This is the retirement plan I began working toward perhaps 10 years ago, and it has turned out to be as wonderful as I had hoped.
I am not, repeat NOT, writing a book. I am always flattered when nice folks suggest that this is what I ought to be doing, and I know better than to say "never." But I have spent too many years chained to a keyboard. I now enjoy a life where nothing has to be a story, and I like that just fine.
This blog, and Prince Charming's companion blog, were started last spring in response to requests from friends interested in hearing about our summer in Alaska. We don't know yet where we'll be going this summer, but if you're interested, you can track our adventures here, in words and pictures.
Feel free to stop in anytime.

No comments:
Post a Comment