The artsy emu
A young giraffe chows downCopyright 2009 Lydia Hinshaw
MELBOURNE, FL -- Before Thursday, I had not carried a camera on any of my bus-driving expeditions this summer.
For the Brevard Zoo, I made an exception. I couldn't imagine going to any zoo without a camera. For security and weight reasons, I left the SLR and the long lens home and settled for my little point-and-shoot.
It was miserably hot on the bus during the 90-minute drive, and even worse at the zoo. Most of the animals were desperately seeking shade, as was I. The resulting low light, on an automatic camera, resulted in lots of "noise" on some shots. In the case of the top photo, I thought the noise actually improved the emu's looks.
The Brevard Zoo has a giraffe-feeding area, something I don't ever remember seeing before. You can walk up on a deck so you're level with the longnecks' heads, and you can buy healthy treats to feed them.
The giraffes seem to think this is a fine system, and they don't mind coming over to accept a gift from a tourist. This one was scratching his face on the deck railing. I could have given him the kind of head-scratch my cats like, but decided that probably wasn't a good idea.
It was so hot that the day-camp staff decided to load up our three busloads of kids and leave nearly an hour earlier than planned. It was a good idea. We got back on time, despite having to slow down for four nasty downpours.
Back in Ormond Beach, it was hotter than ever, and it hasn't rained a drop.
For the Brevard Zoo, I made an exception. I couldn't imagine going to any zoo without a camera. For security and weight reasons, I left the SLR and the long lens home and settled for my little point-and-shoot.
It was miserably hot on the bus during the 90-minute drive, and even worse at the zoo. Most of the animals were desperately seeking shade, as was I. The resulting low light, on an automatic camera, resulted in lots of "noise" on some shots. In the case of the top photo, I thought the noise actually improved the emu's looks.
The Brevard Zoo has a giraffe-feeding area, something I don't ever remember seeing before. You can walk up on a deck so you're level with the longnecks' heads, and you can buy healthy treats to feed them.
The giraffes seem to think this is a fine system, and they don't mind coming over to accept a gift from a tourist. This one was scratching his face on the deck railing. I could have given him the kind of head-scratch my cats like, but decided that probably wasn't a good idea.
It was so hot that the day-camp staff decided to load up our three busloads of kids and leave nearly an hour earlier than planned. It was a good idea. We got back on time, despite having to slow down for four nasty downpours.
Back in Ormond Beach, it was hotter than ever, and it hasn't rained a drop.

No comments:
Post a Comment