Thursday, November 12, 2009

Howling good time at the zoo

(c) 2009 Lydia Hinshaw

Howler monkey family

Baby plays peek-a-boo

SANFORD, FL -- Wednesday was Veterans' Day, which meant that schools were closed, but most parents still had to work. So the daycare center where I work scheduled a field trip to the zoo -- officially and somewhat pretentiously known as the Central Florida Zoological Park. I got to drive the bus.
The most interesting animals I saw were a howler monkey family. (A case could be made that I transported 55 howler monkeys to the zoo, but that might offend some of their parents.)
So I'll stick to the real howlers, who did not howl for me, but did give me some opportunities to photograph them with their baby. There were some problems -- low light, dark animals and wire mesh enclosures do not make for good pictures.
However, computer-adjusted exposure made these worth posting.
Male howler monkeys are black. Females are blond to reddish. Babies are colored like their mother and the boys turn black as they become adults.
This pair had a little guy who spent most of his time clinging to his mom's abdomen, although with some patience I was able to catch a few frames featuring junior.
Howlers are native to Central and South America, and their howl can be heard for up to three miles.
It's possible to Google "howler monkey" and hear what they sound like, which is more like a growl than a howl if you ask me.

No comments: