Saturday, April 21, 2012

Counting the days. . .

© 2012 Lydia Hinshaw 

"The mountains are calling and I must go"
--John Muir








































 ORMOND BEACH, FL -- Our time in Florida has grown short once again.  In a few weeks we will be packing up the Magic Bus to head back to Glacier National Park in Montana, where we will be driving shuttle buses on Going-to-the-Sun Road.
 Our house-sitter is hired.  Our medical appointments are complete, except for my dental checkup.  The Magic Bus goes in for a big annual pre-trip checkup next week.   I've given my notice at the Y, where I've worked part-time since October.  We have started to put aside things that need to be packed, and make lists of things we need to do.  We have taken a few peeks at our collection of road maps.  Every year, there are more places we want to re-visit on our way west.
 It's been an easy winter without the frustration of filling out job apps.  One morning last week we e-mailed our employer and within an hour we had a "welcome back" response and a date we should plan to be in West Glacier to start work.
 Of all the places I've worked since I embarked on this seasonal tourism adventure in 2005, Glacier is my favorite, and the job is the most fun.  I look at fantastic scenery and meet interesting people all day long. The driving is challenging, but not scary. 
 On days off, the hiking opportunities are abundant, although my cranky knee prevented me from doing as much as I wanted last summer.  We're close enough to supermarkets to eat cheaply and well, close enough to the Canadian Rockies to make weekend trips.
 We can't wait to be on our way.
 


No comments: