SACRAMENTO, CA -- During a series of summers traveling in the West, we've become Safeway fans. Spotting a store is like arriving at home in a strange city.
We've used our Safeway points to get as much as 50 cents off per gallon of gas at the chain's gas stations, which usually have the cheapest gas around. Unfortunately, we've found that the Safeway points we earn in Colorado cannot be converted to California points, and Colorado is too far to drive to gas up.
Nevertheless, when we arrived in Sacramento, where we are house-sitting this month, we were very interested in locating the closest Safeway.
The homeowner gave us directions, but mentioned that there is a Raley's that is a bit closer and a fine store as well.
I am not fond of supermarkets in general. Back home in Florida, Prince Charming does all the grocery shopping because he loves to visit supermarkets every day. I sit these excursions out at home.
Living in our Volkswagen van, a daily visit to a supermarket is nearly a requirement. And since it is our only vehicle for the summer, I have to go shopping too, unless I can find something more interesting to do nearby.
In Whitefish, MT, for example, I often spent the grocery hour washing clothes in the laundromat across the street, which shows how little I enjoy grocery shopping.
Anyhow, we tried out the Raley's and were quickly impressed. It's a big,clean store with a great selection of everything. It even offers bonus point that can be redeemed for gasoline discounts, although we have yet to find the correct gas station.
But what I like best about our neighborhood Raley's is the spacious coffee shop, with soft upholstered chairs, at the front of the store. While the Prince wanders the aisles at his own (slow) pace, I can sit and read on my Kindle, of web-surf on the free wi-fi.
Safeway has wi-fi too, and usually some tables and straight-backed chairs, which aren't comfortable enough for the average duration of Prince Charming's shopping trips.
So I guess we will be shopping at Raley's for the next few weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment