Saturday, June 10, 2006

Where the eagle flies, and rests

Copyright 2006, Lydia Hinshaw

SKAGWAY, AK -- I lived in Florida for more than 30 years before I spotted my first bald eagle. Here, they're about as rare as mockingbirds.
This fellow was the ornament atop a spruce tree along the road to Dyea (a nearby ghost town) when I passed by with a couple of vacationers from Texas on a tour this morning.
Last night, while Prince Charming and I were watching the ferry unload (OK, so we are not party animals), an eagle dropped into the water just astern of the boat and made off with a fish. Naturally, neither of us had a camera handy.
One day last week, as several of us were arriving at the docks in buses to pick up our tour groups, one of my co-workers alerted us all by radio that there was an eagle overhead. He soared over the crowded harbor, his natural majesty a reminder that Skagway is more that just a gathering place for mobile marine hotels.
An acquaintance who once went on an Alaska cruise told me that at first he kept a count of how many eagles he'd spotted, but he was soon overwhelmed by the numbers and gave up. So I'm not counting. I'm just enjoying each and every one I see.

No comments: