Tiptoeing through the mud after a rainstormCopyright 2007 Lydia Hinshaw
DENALI NATIONAL PARK, AK -- The red fox, like the black bear, comes in more than one color. Having observed a number of dark gray "red" foxes, I was delighted to see one with a definite reddish tint a few days ago.
Color names don't mean much sometimes. Last year in Southeast Alaska, British Columbia and Yukon, I saw "black" bears that were black, brown, cinnamon-colored and almost blond.
In Alaska, grizzlies are commonly called "brown" bears. I've seen perhaps a dozen so far. Just one was brown. The rest were blond with dark legs.
Smaller "black" bears are rarely seen in Denali. I'm interested in finding one, to see what color he really is.
Color names don't mean much sometimes. Last year in Southeast Alaska, British Columbia and Yukon, I saw "black" bears that were black, brown, cinnamon-colored and almost blond.
In Alaska, grizzlies are commonly called "brown" bears. I've seen perhaps a dozen so far. Just one was brown. The rest were blond with dark legs.
Smaller "black" bears are rarely seen in Denali. I'm interested in finding one, to see what color he really is.

No comments:
Post a Comment