Copyright 2007 Lydia Hinshaw
DENALI NATIONAL PARK, AK -- Is it possible to have too many pictures of Mount McKinley? My customers didn't think so Friday.
I wound up leaving 41 of them at this viewpoint while I took an empty bus downhill to the Fish Creek turnaround, which is at the lower right in this picture. Back up the hill five minutes later, I found them still reluctant to get back aboard. They wanted me to wait for them to take more pictures.
Denali's Visitor Transportation System (VTS) buses are a shuttle for people desiring to visit the park. Buses run on a schedule, about half an hour apart. The idea is that folks can get off the bus and enjoy the place for a few hours, then catch a later bus back to the park entrance.
For some reason, though, most people don't believe later buses will ever come. They are afraid to give up their seats on the bus they're on. So on a perfect day like Friday was, I must explain repeatedly that no, I cannot wait for you to take more pictures, but if that's what you want to do, there will be another bus passing by here every half hour for the rest of the day.
With only rare exceptions, they file quietly back into the noisy security of my big rolling metal box. Such an opportunity missed!
I wound up leaving 41 of them at this viewpoint while I took an empty bus downhill to the Fish Creek turnaround, which is at the lower right in this picture. Back up the hill five minutes later, I found them still reluctant to get back aboard. They wanted me to wait for them to take more pictures.
Denali's Visitor Transportation System (VTS) buses are a shuttle for people desiring to visit the park. Buses run on a schedule, about half an hour apart. The idea is that folks can get off the bus and enjoy the place for a few hours, then catch a later bus back to the park entrance.
For some reason, though, most people don't believe later buses will ever come. They are afraid to give up their seats on the bus they're on. So on a perfect day like Friday was, I must explain repeatedly that no, I cannot wait for you to take more pictures, but if that's what you want to do, there will be another bus passing by here every half hour for the rest of the day.
With only rare exceptions, they file quietly back into the noisy security of my big rolling metal box. Such an opportunity missed!

No comments:
Post a Comment