Friday, July 27, 2007

In the pink of summer

Fireweed is everywhere

Copyright 2007 Lydia Hinshaw

ALONG THE GEORGE PARKS HIGHWAY, AK -- Summer roadside decorations in this part of the world feature fireweed, the pink wildflower that never seems quite as dazzling in a picture as it does to the eye.
This patch of fireweed, shot during our weekend junket to the south, was man-sized stuff, at least six feet tall.
Fireweed is so named because it's usually the first plant to brighten the landscape after a forest fire. It's supposed to be hardy stuff that will grow almost anywhere.
I liked the fireweed in the Yukon Territory so much last summer that I blew $2 on some seeds. I figured if it'll grow anywhere, even I can't screw it up. Back home in Florida I tried the seeds in containers and outdoors and never got a single sprout.
Perhaps I should have planted them in the refrigerator.

No comments: