Copyright 2007 Lydia Hinshaw
DENALI NATIONAL PARK, AK -- Lately, my point-and-shoot has decided that it will shoot only sometimes instead of whenever I press the shutter.
Fortunately, I was able to get it to fire once at these grizzlies who were ambling down the Park Road Friday morning. They'd already walked right past the bus that was a couple hundred yards in front of me.
So I stopped, shut off the engine and did my best to get 46 excited passengers to be quiet enough not to scare the bears away. This sounds easier than it is. I've learned that the most reasonable, even-tempered people on earth can go instantly hysterical at the sight of a bear. And half-a-dozen of Friday's customers were Polish-speakers who did not understand English, or any other language in which I can say "please be quiet."
Happily for all of us, the bears continued along the road, walking right past us on their way to wherever they were going.
I suspect they were the same two I had seen Thursday afternoon, in about the same place. They seem to like hanging out in the road, which is fine with me.
Fortunately, I was able to get it to fire once at these grizzlies who were ambling down the Park Road Friday morning. They'd already walked right past the bus that was a couple hundred yards in front of me.
So I stopped, shut off the engine and did my best to get 46 excited passengers to be quiet enough not to scare the bears away. This sounds easier than it is. I've learned that the most reasonable, even-tempered people on earth can go instantly hysterical at the sight of a bear. And half-a-dozen of Friday's customers were Polish-speakers who did not understand English, or any other language in which I can say "please be quiet."
Happily for all of us, the bears continued along the road, walking right past us on their way to wherever they were going.
I suspect they were the same two I had seen Thursday afternoon, in about the same place. They seem to like hanging out in the road, which is fine with me.

No comments:
Post a Comment