Photo and text c. 2009 Lydia Hinshaw
Jazzie gets pamperedORMOND BEACH, FL -- Looking after the daycare center rabbit is everybody's responsibility, which may or may not mean it's nobody's responsibility.
I hear rumors that other people are feeding Jazzie, but I rarely see evidence of this, as Jazzie vacuums up large volumes of food very quickly and always wants more. To be safe, I have become the unofficial rabbit wrangler and I show up seven days a week with nutritional offerings. Jazzie is always quite glad to see me.
For some weeks I was convinced Jazzie was a girl. It's usually easy to determine the gender of a mature rabbit. One day about a month ago, a co-worker and I did a search and could find no boy-parts.
A couple of weeks after that, I showed up with the rabbit food and found Jazzie standing on hind legs as if to show me something, and this is how I learned the truth.
I have no idea of Jazzie's age. Perhaps he is younger than I assumed. Or perhaps he was nervous on "inspection day" and managed to retract everything somehow.
At any rate, I'm now trying to train myself to use male pronouns for Jazzie, who doesn't care if I treat him like a girl, as long as I keep treating him to lunch.
I hear rumors that other people are feeding Jazzie, but I rarely see evidence of this, as Jazzie vacuums up large volumes of food very quickly and always wants more. To be safe, I have become the unofficial rabbit wrangler and I show up seven days a week with nutritional offerings. Jazzie is always quite glad to see me.
For some weeks I was convinced Jazzie was a girl. It's usually easy to determine the gender of a mature rabbit. One day about a month ago, a co-worker and I did a search and could find no boy-parts.
A couple of weeks after that, I showed up with the rabbit food and found Jazzie standing on hind legs as if to show me something, and this is how I learned the truth.
I have no idea of Jazzie's age. Perhaps he is younger than I assumed. Or perhaps he was nervous on "inspection day" and managed to retract everything somehow.
At any rate, I'm now trying to train myself to use male pronouns for Jazzie, who doesn't care if I treat him like a girl, as long as I keep treating him to lunch.

No comments:
Post a Comment