Sunday, September 20, 2009

Fleeced again? Not this time!

Copyright 2009 Lydia Hinshaw

Just what every Floridian needs


ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, FL -- Prince Charming and I were lured to this traffic-crippled suburb of Orlando Saturday by a flier announcing a huge sale at a big outdoor store.
I was reluctant to be reeled in, partly because I feared the temptation of brightly colored kayaks. But what usually happens to me at sales like this is that I find a great price on an irresistible fleece pullover in some shade of blue/green/gray.
Conspicuous evidence confirms that I already own fleeces to keep the average Floridian warm in winter for the next 500 years.
Shoot, I have far more of these than any summer resident of Alaska or Montana will ever need. On our past few northwest-bound trips, I have had to decide which two fleeces (one light, one heavy) I will take along. Usually I wind up acquiring another in the course of the summer.
Granted, the oldest of my seven fleeces is probably 12, but it looks fine except for the small melted spot on one sleeve, inflicted by a popping campfire in Whitehorse, Yukon, three years ago. These things never wear out.
Saturday's sale was indeed huge. The kayaks were indeed tempting, but thankfully far beyond my budget. I tried to ignore the racks of fleeces.
What I bought instead were two lightweight tank tops, reduced from $35 to $10. They'll be very useful here for at least the next month. And for summers in cooler climates, they will work fine as base layers -- under fleeces!

No comments: