Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Loud, in more than one way

(c) 2010 Lydia Hinshaw

Summer tanager in Zion

ZION NATIONAL PARK, UT -- Things were quiet around the South Campground at Zion NP Sunday afternoon. Then some noisy bird showed up.
His repertoire was one tune, several bars long, which he repeated, loudly, over and over again. The music, which I will not attempt to recreate with alphabetical tools, drew my attention and I went looking for the bird.
Although he preferred leafy perches, his camouflage was a total failure. I stalked him from tree to tree for quite a while. I'd never seen his like before, so I made a research trip to a bookstore when we went into town for dinner.
He's a summer tanager, famous for his color, his voice and his diet: Bees.
No wonder he hangs around in Utah, officially nicknamed the Beehive State.

No comments: