Sunday, November 14, 2010

Surf's up, and loud!

(c) 2010 Lydia Hinshaw

A surfer enjoys the big waves in Flagler Beach

Towering surf at Shelter Cove, CA in September

ORMOND BEACH, FL -- The past couple of nights, I've been able to hear the ocean roaring from my Florida room, even though the beach is about a mile away as the sound travels.
This is unusual, and happens only when the waves are particularly big and vigorous.
Sunday morning, we checked out the surf and sure enough, it was large. Surfers here don't often get waves taller than they are. They were having a blast, and I wished I was young enough to join them.
Watching the big waves break reminded me of Shelter Cove, CA, which we visited a little less that two months ago. There, waves break against a steep bluff, with explosive results. There was no beach, and no surfing.
Our campsite was less than a mile from where the second picture was shot. We soon learned that the detonations we kept hearing were just the bigger sets pounding the rocks.


No comments: