© 2011 Lydia Hinshaw
A parking spot for the old guy
Transportation, Virginia City style
BOZEMAN, MT -- We all know you can find just about anything at a Walmart, but this was a new one.
Prince Charming and I, enjoying a few days off, traveled here to do some shopping and such in the nearest full-service city to Old Faithful. We stayed here overnight Thursday and hit Walmart early Friday morning.
While the Prince was going through his usual maddening parking lot ritual (This space looks OK, no wait the one on the left will save three steps, no wait, if I go up this aisle the wrong way I can get to a spot that's even closer) and while I protested these unpredictable lurches that he very well knows give me motion-sickness, we spotted this sign.
We couldn't resist taking the space, and a picture. There was no one there to card us. Apparently the senior citizen spaces are on the honor system. Or maybe it's assumed that most of the population would deny eligibility.
After we'd finished our shopping, we set out for Virginia City, a former gold-mining town which became a ghost town and since has been reinvented as a tourist attraction. You can see the sights in tours conducted in a stagecoach, or an ancient fire engine modified to allow several rows of seats.
We preferred walking, as it was too chilly for traveling in open-air vehicles.

No comments:
Post a Comment