© 2011 Lydia Hinshaw
The view on my last day at Logan Pass
Sunset at Lake McDonald
WEST GLACIER, MT -- It was 39 degrees when we woke up on our last morning at Glacier Campground. I didn't mind the chill at all.
We worked our last shift Friday, and hit the road Saturday morning, headed for the Oregon Coast, probably three days away.
This was the first seasonal summer job I was actually sad to see end. Who could complain about traveling Going to the Sun four times per day, and eating lunch every day at Logan Pass?
The job was easy and fun, the passengers friendly and often quite interesting folks. We were practically adopted by the family that owns the campground where we lived for two months. Although we are serious cat-people, their three dogs became our excellent pals.
The campground's lounge, with its wi-fi, television and local gossip, made living in a van survivable.
Packing up to drive away, I kept wondering if my reluctance to leave means we should be planning a permanent move to Montana. Florida has less of a hold on me with every summer I spend elsewhere, and the cross-country drive gets longer every year.
From Whitefish or Eureka, we could get to my favorite spots in Alberta and British Columbia often.
But would we enjoy Montana winters? I still can't quite convince myself of that.

No comments:
Post a Comment