©2012 Lydia Hinshaw
| The 49th parallel: Canada is at right |
| Canadian port of entry building waits for no one |
NORTH FORK OF THE FLATHEAD RIVER, MT -- Once upon a time there was a border crossing here, just west of Glacier National Park. In 1994, both countries agreed to close down the remote location.
From the US side, you can still drive to the border on a fairly well-maintained gravel road, 22 miles north of the community of Polebridge. On the Canadian side, two ruts trail off into the weeds.
Prince Charming and I like to seek out places like this. Here where two countries meet are two customs facilities, unused for 18 years. We were the only people around. It was eerily quiet. We wondered if hidden cameras were watching to see whether we would cross into foreign territory.
We drove a short distance east to a spot where kayakers can launch, and found several cars, but no people. On the riverbank, a sign still warns passing boaters to report to customs. From the river, you can look due west and see the border -- that cleared alley in the top photo -- stretching up the mountain into the distance.
Later, back in West Glacier, we spoke to some local residents who told stories of running afoul of the border patrol on occasion in this area. The authorities patrol on snowmobiles in winter (this is a popular snowmobiling area), and most likely on ATVs or horses this time of year.
Almost as interesting as the old border crossing was the drive to it. The entire 22 miles is dotted with residences, some of them obviously qualifying as trophy homes, others much less opulent.
Later, I checked the Internet for real estate listings, and discovered this is a place where it's possible to pay upwards of $1 million for a house that is off the power grid. Residents depend on generators and solar panels for their electrical needs.
It would be an interesting place to live, for sure.

1 comment:
Hi Lydia... I am so sorry that we lost touch. Right now, I am working at the Sun Sentinel, having escaped the Halifax nightmare about a month ago. I left Gainesville in such haste, I forgot leave a trail of crumbs. I see that you are off on another grand adventure! Bon voyage!
Post a Comment