Friday, September 06, 2013

A case of mistaken identity

©2013 Lydia Hinshaw

I am not a cougar, but I might like to be
 UCLUELET, BC -- Signs all over town here warn of the dangerous animals who may be wandering the trails.  And the streets.
 Black bears.  Cougars.  Wolves.  
 Folks we met in town reported seeing a cougar lurking in the parking lot of a local business Thursday, and a wolf ambling along a sidewalk one morning this week.  The local does, we were told, seldom succeed in raising a fawn to adulthood because of the big cats and dogs.
 So when I saw a large feline walk across a hiking trail in front of us, I was thinking lynx at least.  Prince Charming didn't see the animal at all.
 The big cat turned around walked back into the trail, sat down and stared at us. I shot a picture, and approached close enough to see that the animal posed no threat.
 Not a cougar, but maybe a Maine coon.  Well cared for, accustomed to humans, but not willing to fraternize with tourists.  The cat let me get close, but ran away as I cautiously extended my hand.
 I will have to keep looking for my cougar.



  

No comments: