Thursday, September 03, 2015

Not exactly Going to the Sun

©2015 Lydia Hinshaw

There's a great view behind that fog

 WEST GLACIER, MT -- Thursday, Sept. 3 was my 65th birthday and I wanted to visit one of my favorite places, Logan Pass in Glacier National Park.  And so we set out on Going to the Sun Road, which we drove three and four times per day for three summers back when we were shuttle bus drivers.
 Alas, the weather was about the same as it was on my last birthday, just a few degrees warmer.  At the Pass, the thermometer read 38 degrees, too warm for the snow we encountered on this date in 2014.
 I wanted to do a hike, and so we did, three miles out and back on the popular and usually crowded Hidden Lake Lookout trail.  The lake was hidden, all right, behind a thick white veil just like the one pictured above.
 It rained about for at least two of the three-mile hike.  Prince Charming, who lagged some distance behind me, swears that some of that precipitation was sleet.
 I didn't encounter any sleet, but I can believe it was out there.  After we got back to the campground, I sat by the gas fire in the lounge for several hours before I felt warm again.
 

No comments: