Friday, November 18, 2016

A new bird in my collection

 ©2016 Lydia Hinshaw
Least bittern


 VIERA, FL -- If I were a true birdwatcher, Friday would have been cause for celebration.  I only watch birds in the interest of taking pictures of them, and this was still a very cool experience.
 I've often heard about least bitterns, and how difficult they are to spot, as they are reclusive, like to hide in tall reeds and can remain motionless  longer than a statue.
 I would never have spotted this one on my own, but another photographer at Viera Wetlands was kind enough to show me where the bird was.  He was also patient, as my eyes are not what they used to be, and I needed a lot of coaching and my binoculars before I finally saw what he was showing me.
 And so I spent half an hour or more photographing the little guy, who did move around some for me, but declined to walk out into plain sight. I had to maneuver this way and that trying to find an opening in the greenery.
 Later, Prince Charming caught up with me and got some pictures for himself too.  It was quite a worthwhile day at the Wetlands, and the best photo expedition we've had in more than a year.
 
   

No comments: