Tuesday, May 30, 2006

It's a tough job sometimes



Copyright 2006 Lydia Hinshaw

CARCROSS, YT -- One of our more onerous duties as tour guides is to take customers to an attraction here which includes a sled dog operation. Folks can pay extra to take a ride with the dogs, who pull a wheeled sled this time of year.
There is no extra charge, however, to pet the husky puppies, who are always a big hit with everybody. These little fellows, who were put on display last week, are about a month old, and well beyond adorable. There are five in the litter, and their mom is always nearby, but they are playful, adventurous and inquisitive. They love meeting new people, as long as the weather is cool enough for them.
When it gets too warm -- and above 60 degrees is a husky heat wave -- they crawl into the shade of their doghouse, pile on top of each other and lapse into comas. You're allowed to pick them up, but the one you've chosen will simply fall back to sleep in your arms.
Naturally, I want to take one home to Florida, but I fear I could not afford the air conditioning bill. Plus, my two cats have told me repeatedly and emphatically that they will not allow a dog in the house. And I believe them.

No comments: