Saturday, August 19, 2006

Whose blog is it anyway?

Copyright 2006 Lydia Hinshaw

WHITEHORSE, YT -- If the blog entry just below this one is stylistically challenged and grammatically bereft, there's a reason: I didn't write it.
We are wandering the Yukon Territory with a pair of laptops, but in our search for wireless Inernet service, we often find it cheaper to use just one of them. And so I wrote something on Prince Charming's computer about our ice-skating adventure, uploaded it, checked to make sure it was there, and returned the computer to its rightful owner.
He proceeded with a picture and text of his own, but then couldn't find it on his blog. Shortly thereafter, our online time ran out, and it was several days before we got a chance to check again. Still not there.
As usual, the Prince was convinced that the blog website had betrayed him somehow. After all, he had done everything right, and screen messages had confirmed that the blog entry had published successfully.
The mystery was solved when my brother e-mailed me and mentioned reading about Hops, the cat we met at a middle-of-nowhere coffee shop, even though the entry still didn't show on the Prince's blog. (We have since revisited the place and discovered the cat's actual name is Hobbes; the Prince heard wrong the first time.)
There was only one other place it could possibly be. I checked this site and there it was. The Prince had neglected to log onto his own site before blogging away.
I could get rid of it. I know how. But he doesn't want to have to do it over. So I guess I'll leave it, though perhaps I'll add a disclaimer.
We are back in our favorite coffee shop where the wi-fi is free, so we are sitting in the garden, enjoying rare sunshine and using two computers again this afternoon.
Hobbes the cat has yet to appear. Perhaps he doesn't like being famous.

No comments: