Monday, December 18, 2006

Merritt Island expeditions

Copyright 2006 Lydia Hinshaw

I've crossed the continent four times the past two summers, but I've also had a chance to rediscover interesting places closer to home.

Sunday, Prince Charming and I went to the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge in search of photos (For the national audience, that's about 50 miles south of our Ormond Beach headquarters.)
We visited the NWR several times last winter, and one day in February we were lucky enough to catch a bobcat walking brazenly along the trail. With the help of a 200mm lens and further computer zooming, it looks like I was a lot closer to the cat than the safe distance I was careful to maintain.
Sunday's trip produced well over 100 mostly worthless frames (aren't digital cameras wonderful!) and one big score, a green heron. This is a bird always described with words such as reclusive, solitary and secretive. That's why I didn't yet have one in my collection of bird photos.
We managed to sneak up on this one, perched on some of the equipment the NWR folks use to regulate the amount of water in the swampy refuge.
The other usual suspects, including alligators, were on hand in their usual bountiful numbers. There were even a few mosquitoes, in those moments when the wind died down.

No comments: