Copyright 2007 Lydia Hinshaw
ORMOND BEACH, FL -- After an absence of six months, I've come home to find new strip malls, new housing developments, newly abandoned storefronts that used to be...what? Nothing memorable enough to stay in business, I suppose.
After waiting out four weeks of Daylight Savings Time, I finally have early morning light again, which means I can enjoy a walk to the local fishing pier before heading off for swimming or exercise classes.
The past two morning, I've been delighted to see my old friend Double Knee-kill, the snowy egret with the extra "knee" on his left leg, surely the result of an old injury. Double, whose mugshot is featured in my profile at right, has frequented the bait shop for as long as six or seven years now, I'm guessing, because he knows that shrimp sometimes come flying out the back door.
Also, the man who drives the bait delivery truck often "forgets" to close the lid on his tank while he goes inside with a bucket of tasty treats. For Double, this is like having an all-you-can-eat buffet rolled right up to his house.
Monday morning, Double was waiting in his usual spot, and so was Happy, the resident dog. Double and Happy co-exist by carefully ignoring each other.
This is not to say that Happy is a pushover. He can do sound and fury if he doesn't like the attitude of a passing canine, but mostly he prefers to take things easy.
Neither of them seemed to notice that I was snapping pictures of them again for the first time since April. It was as if I'd never left.
After waiting out four weeks of Daylight Savings Time, I finally have early morning light again, which means I can enjoy a walk to the local fishing pier before heading off for swimming or exercise classes.
The past two morning, I've been delighted to see my old friend Double Knee-kill, the snowy egret with the extra "knee" on his left leg, surely the result of an old injury. Double, whose mugshot is featured in my profile at right, has frequented the bait shop for as long as six or seven years now, I'm guessing, because he knows that shrimp sometimes come flying out the back door.
Also, the man who drives the bait delivery truck often "forgets" to close the lid on his tank while he goes inside with a bucket of tasty treats. For Double, this is like having an all-you-can-eat buffet rolled right up to his house.
Monday morning, Double was waiting in his usual spot, and so was Happy, the resident dog. Double and Happy co-exist by carefully ignoring each other.
This is not to say that Happy is a pushover. He can do sound and fury if he doesn't like the attitude of a passing canine, but mostly he prefers to take things easy.
Neither of them seemed to notice that I was snapping pictures of them again for the first time since April. It was as if I'd never left.

No comments:
Post a Comment