Thursday, April 17, 2008

Beach bunnies


































Copyright 2008 Lydia Hinshaw


ORMOND BEACH, FL -- My morning walks often take me along Beach Street, which runs beside the Halifax River, more formally know as the Intracoastal Waterway.
Families of rabbits live in the weeds along the banks. Mornings and evenings they come out to feed in the lush grass our city workers carefully nurture.
Thursday morning I saw five at once, including a youngster, the top rabbit in the top picture.
While I stood watching, the bunnies suddenly began to bounce around, chasing and nipping each other.
The area where the rabbits live was under quite a bit of water several times in the late summer and fall of 2004 when we were hit by three nasty hurricanes. In the calm after those storms, when I walked in the neighborhood and saw how high the water had been, I worried about the bunnies and wondered if they would survive.
Obviously, they did.

No comments: