Copyright 2008 Lydia Hinshaw
ORMOND BEACH, FL -- We've been waiting for weeks and Friday night we finally got the news. In just a few days we'll be leaving for California, where we have summer jobs as bus drivers in Yosemite National Park.
Half Dome and El Capitan are the signature vistas of Yosemite, but just about everybody's seen pictures of them.
Instead, here is Lembert Dome, which I climbed last September when we made a brief foray into the east side of Yosemite. The top of Lembert is about 9,400 feet above sea level. Fortunately, I did not have to start at sea level, as the Dome's parking lot is at 8,500 feet.
The Prince will tell you stories about how I took off alone up this steep granite slope (right to left in this picture) braving darkening skies and increasingly high winds, and how he stayed behind to search his pockets for the phone numbers of my next-of-kin.
Though steep, the footing was good, not at all slippery, so I was not particularly worried about falling.
Lembert Dome looms over an area of the park called Tuolumne Meadows. The name mystified me until I finally asked a local to pronounce it: two-OLLO-me. We'll be working in Yosemite Valley, about 60 miles away.
It's a five day drive from here to Yosemite, but we're leaving early to spend some time vacationing along the way.
After two summers in Alaska, California seems like it's just down the street.
Half Dome and El Capitan are the signature vistas of Yosemite, but just about everybody's seen pictures of them.
Instead, here is Lembert Dome, which I climbed last September when we made a brief foray into the east side of Yosemite. The top of Lembert is about 9,400 feet above sea level. Fortunately, I did not have to start at sea level, as the Dome's parking lot is at 8,500 feet.
The Prince will tell you stories about how I took off alone up this steep granite slope (right to left in this picture) braving darkening skies and increasingly high winds, and how he stayed behind to search his pockets for the phone numbers of my next-of-kin.
Though steep, the footing was good, not at all slippery, so I was not particularly worried about falling.
Lembert Dome looms over an area of the park called Tuolumne Meadows. The name mystified me until I finally asked a local to pronounce it: two-OLLO-me. We'll be working in Yosemite Valley, about 60 miles away.
It's a five day drive from here to Yosemite, but we're leaving early to spend some time vacationing along the way.
After two summers in Alaska, California seems like it's just down the street.

No comments:
Post a Comment