Monday, November 10, 2008

The lovely, and the ugly

Green heron

This guy was at least six feet long

Copyright 2008 Lydia Hinshaw

TITUSVILLE , FL -- Much as we enjoyed hiking in the Sierra Nevada over the summer, we never stopped thinking about getting back to the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.
Monday we were up at 5 a.m. in order to watch the sun rise over manatees and dolphins in Haulover Canal. Since it was a Monday, we had the Blackpoint Wildlife Drive practically to ourselves.
There was plenty to photograph. My catch of the day was this green heron, who didn't get the memo instructing him to be reclusive. This one was still posing when I got bored and moved on. I've been photographing seabirds regularly for years now and this is only the second green heron I've ever seen.
As we were about to complete the circuit on the wildlife drive, I mentioned to Prince Charming that it was unusual we hadn't seen an alligator yet. Right on cue, we spotted this fellow lounging in a canal. He gave me the eye, but he also remained very still so as not to blur my pictures.

No comments: