Saturday, March 21, 2009

Big bird, big cat

Bald eagle on the move

Are you looking at me?

I'm outta here!

Copyright 2009 Lydia Hinshaw

MERRITT ISLAND NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE, FL -- Quality overwhelmed quantity on our photo junket Saturday.
We didn't see nearly as many birds, or birdwatchers, as we have in our previous trips to the Wildlife Refuge over the winter. But I'll trade the usual clouds of seabirds for eagles and a bobcat any day.
We first spotted two bald eagles sitting atop widely-spaced utility poles at one of the satellite tracking facilities along the road. It wasn't the greatest spot to park and get out of the car. I was certain the place is monitored by security cameras, so I was expecting federal officers with guns to turn up and chase us off (or arrest us!) at any moment.
That didn't happen, and although one of the eagles spooked early, the other stayed around and posed for a while. When he (or she) finally lifted off, I managed to get my best shot.
Later, on the wildlife drive, we rounded a turn and startled a bobcat crossing the road ahead of us. This happened in about the same location where we saw and photographed a bobcat in February, 2006. Maybe it was the same guy.
In any case, this one was just like the felines we live with, who slink away in low-profile mode whenever a stranger comes into the house.


No comments: