Sunday, November 11, 2012

Meeting an old friend, probably



©2012 Lydia Hinshaw




Green heron with a bad hair moment




Green heron in a more typical location


 ORMOND BEACH, FL -- We've been home four weeks today, and are picking up  our familiar routines, between my part-time job and some long-avoided household projects.

 Sunday we took our cameras to a favorite park, about three miles away but in another city, Holly Hill.  And there on a railing was a green heron, most likely the same one I've encountered in this park several times previously. 
 I was particularly pleased to see my old acquaintance in plain sight, as green herons usually prefer to keep themselves hidden in foliage, or under piers or wherever else they can go to make themselves difficult to photograph. I liked the way he fluffed his head feathers for me too.
 But of course, an instant after I fired off the top frame, the bird bolted for a nearby bush.  I waited a while but he declined to come out and pose for me again.






No comments: