Saturday, November 03, 2012

Not the most fun weekend


©2012 Lydia Hinshaw

Every couple of years we get to do this!

 ORMOND BEACH, FL -- While we were away this summer, it rained, a lot. Most of our driveway is shaded, and when it rains a lot we get all sorts of mold or mildew or whatever organism it is that loves turning damp driveways black.

 Fortunately the paint store in our neighborhood rents out commercial-grade pressure-washers to homeowners on weekends, when the pros don't need them.  So Prince Charming is out there working away.

 I give him a 10-minute break now and then.  In spite of my regular weight workouts, I still don't have the upper-body strength to manhandle this machine for very long.  After a few minutes, it's pushing me around.

 We also plan to pressure clean the front of the house and then I will get to do some painting.  Yippee!

 On happier fronts, my first Social Security check turned up in my bank account on Nov. 1.  I celebrated by giving two weeks' notice at my job.

 Over the summer, I had decided I didn't want to drive the bus for the Y anymore.  It's a job I've held off and on over the past six winters, and there have been times when I enjoyed it.  But the older I get, the harder it is for me to deal with large numbers of loud children.
 When my old boss called, desperate, three days before we got back, I allowed her to talk me into taking the job again. It was a mistake.
 After three weeks, I found I was working two hours per day, and spending the other 22 hours dreading going to work.
  I feel 10 years younger just knowing I have only have to survive this for nine more days.

No comments: