Sunday, August 26, 2007

Can you find Mt. McKinley in this picture?

Hint: It's wearing white

Copyright 2007 Lydia Hinshaw

DENALI NATIONAL PARK, AK -- The mountain was out Sunday.
This is big news here. In nearly four months, I've seen Mt. McKinley this clearly five times, tops.
Of course I explained to my 44 passengers this morning how lucky they were, how tens of thousands of tourists come here every summer and never see the mountain, how I hadn't seen it in about three weeks. One lady, who obviously had not done much homework before coming to Alaska, seemed not to understand.
"What do you mean you can't see it? What do you see instead?" she asked.
"A solid wall of clouds,'' I told her.
She couldn't seem to get her mind around that.
When the mountain is out, it's hard to imagine anything could hide it. And when the mountain is hidden, it's impossible to tell people how striking it is.

No comments: