Copyright 2007 Lydia Hinshaw
GRANTS, NM -- We have now officially begun the worst part of the trip.
Since we drove off the Alaska ferry at Bellingham, WA, Sept. 19, we have moved at a leisurely pace, never traveling very many miles in one day, staying off expressways and sleeping in mom & pop motels in quaint or quirky towns.
Wednesday we are back in a chain motel, hard by I-40, where we will spend the next two days driving and driving and driving before turning right and driving some more.
At least getting here was pleasant enough. We drove across the Navajo Nation, which I tend to think of as Tony Hillerman country. I kept watching for Navajo Tribal Police vehicles, half-expecting to recognize Lt. Joe Leaphorn or Officer Jim Chee, who are main characters in Hillerman's many novels set in the area.
Since we covered 420 miles, most of it on two-lane, mountainous roads, we had to go cold turkey on photo stops, which wasn't easy.
I managed to get a few shots, like the one above, out the window as we rolled by.
Since we drove off the Alaska ferry at Bellingham, WA, Sept. 19, we have moved at a leisurely pace, never traveling very many miles in one day, staying off expressways and sleeping in mom & pop motels in quaint or quirky towns.
Wednesday we are back in a chain motel, hard by I-40, where we will spend the next two days driving and driving and driving before turning right and driving some more.
At least getting here was pleasant enough. We drove across the Navajo Nation, which I tend to think of as Tony Hillerman country. I kept watching for Navajo Tribal Police vehicles, half-expecting to recognize Lt. Joe Leaphorn or Officer Jim Chee, who are main characters in Hillerman's many novels set in the area.
Since we covered 420 miles, most of it on two-lane, mountainous roads, we had to go cold turkey on photo stops, which wasn't easy.
I managed to get a few shots, like the one above, out the window as we rolled by.

No comments:
Post a Comment