Copyright 2008 Lydia Hinshaw
SHAWNEE, OK -- A restaurant we stopped at Sunday proudly advertised buffalo burgers. Fortunately, the neighbors in the pasture next door can't read.
This bison probably enjoys his diet of nice, green Oklahoma grass. His cousins in Yellowstone are stuck with dried up yellow stuff. On the other hand, the Yellowstone bison don't have to worry about winding up on a menu.
We didn't eat buffalo Sunday, but we did eat ribs. One of our criteria for an overnight stop was that the motel had to be close to a barbecue joint. Here on the edge of Shawnee we're less than a mile from Van's Pig Stand.
The ribs were great. I had fried okra too. Tomorrow morning I might be able to have grits. And tomorrow we will pass through Little Rock, where years ago I used to get some pretty good catfish.
The closer we get to home, the better the food.
This bison probably enjoys his diet of nice, green Oklahoma grass. His cousins in Yellowstone are stuck with dried up yellow stuff. On the other hand, the Yellowstone bison don't have to worry about winding up on a menu.
We didn't eat buffalo Sunday, but we did eat ribs. One of our criteria for an overnight stop was that the motel had to be close to a barbecue joint. Here on the edge of Shawnee we're less than a mile from Van's Pig Stand.
The ribs were great. I had fried okra too. Tomorrow morning I might be able to have grits. And tomorrow we will pass through Little Rock, where years ago I used to get some pretty good catfish.
The closer we get to home, the better the food.

No comments:
Post a Comment