Monday, October 20, 2008

You can't photograph "cool"

Copyright 2008 Lydia Hinshaw

ORMOND BEACH, FL -- Sunday was the day we'd all been waiting for. Sunday reminded us that our suffering is nearly at an end.
Sunday we woke up to cooler temperatures for the first time this fall. This is always a milestone event in Florida. The past four years, I've tried to get home in time for it, but not too far ahead. This year I beat it by 11 (miserable) days.
"Cooler" is relative here. Cooler means it was 68 degrees instead of 78 at 7 a.m. Wind was blowing too.
Before Prince Charming and I left on our three-mile morning walk, I grabbed a lightweight fleece pullover, which I wore for the first two miles before tying it around my waist. When we got home, I didn't have to shower or even change T-shirts.
Headed to work at the pool, I packed a sweatsuit and socks, which I didn't need, but it felt good to know that I will soon.
All afternoon, swimmers came and went, marveling at how nice the day had been.
Hurricane season is almost over. The air-conditioning can be turned off now and then. The Queen has declared a truce, and it seems she might let us stay here for the winter, although there are no guarantees.
On the downside, the pleasant weather means it is time to get started on my mental list of household projects, the stuff I've had a good excuse not to think about so far. Paint store, here I come.

No comments: