(c) 2010 Lydia Hinshaw
Jazzie and his breakfast saladOCEAN SPRINGS, MS -- Footloose is a heady feeling. Saturday morning, with the house carefully cleaned and the Eurovan carefully packed, we set out for our six-month adventure to the Grand Canyon.
Ten hours and 540 miles later we arrived here and scored an $8 campsite in the Davis Bayou campground in Gulf Islands National Seashore. Prince Charming gets credit for the bargain price, as he's old enough to qualify for a Golden Age Passport. I, of course, am far too young for that, but I'm allowed to come along at no extra charge.
The weather wasn't great, and as usual I had forgotten how long it takes to get out of Florida via I-10 (442 miles, eight and a half hours) but it felt wonderful to be on the road again, with 16 days to complete a four-day trip.
Before we left Ormond Beach, we made one last stop at the daycare center where I've been working as a bus-driver and volunteer rabbit-wrangler. Jazzie the rabbit was expecting me, because for the past 10 months or so I've been showing up every morning around 7 with his breakfast. When the weather's cool enough, he celebrates my arrival by racing around and around in his cage.
Saturday morning he got a super-sized serving of commercial bunny food, plus a large salad. He was munching happily when we left. Once his meal is served, Jazzie isn't much interested in socializing. Plus, we'd annoyed him by taking several flash pictures.
I'm going to miss him.
Ten hours and 540 miles later we arrived here and scored an $8 campsite in the Davis Bayou campground in Gulf Islands National Seashore. Prince Charming gets credit for the bargain price, as he's old enough to qualify for a Golden Age Passport. I, of course, am far too young for that, but I'm allowed to come along at no extra charge.
The weather wasn't great, and as usual I had forgotten how long it takes to get out of Florida via I-10 (442 miles, eight and a half hours) but it felt wonderful to be on the road again, with 16 days to complete a four-day trip.
Before we left Ormond Beach, we made one last stop at the daycare center where I've been working as a bus-driver and volunteer rabbit-wrangler. Jazzie the rabbit was expecting me, because for the past 10 months or so I've been showing up every morning around 7 with his breakfast. When the weather's cool enough, he celebrates my arrival by racing around and around in his cage.
Saturday morning he got a super-sized serving of commercial bunny food, plus a large salad. He was munching happily when we left. Once his meal is served, Jazzie isn't much interested in socializing. Plus, we'd annoyed him by taking several flash pictures.
I'm going to miss him.

1 comment:
He misses you too, but I'm taking great care of him. I feed him a ton of fresh veggies and fruit, and he is now inside our class room. He comes out to play everyday, and comes home with me on the weekends. He's loved, spoiled, and I think he knows it! I'm sure he can't wait to see you again!!
Post a Comment