Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Dining diversity

(c) 2010 Lydia Hinshaw

Pretty big ears for a quail

SHELTER COVE, CA -- Prince Charming and I went for a long walk in this end-of-the-road coastal hideaway Tuesday afternoon.
It's a strange sort of place, reached by 25 miles of steep switchbacks on what is called California's Lost Coast. There are plenty of houses, but not much population at mid-week this time of year. Most of the residences are vacation homes.
On the lawn of one of the houses we spotted a covey of California quail, which I like because of the fancy head-dresses they wear.
I was firing away when I noticed one of the quail didn't move like a quail. After careful study, I concluded that I had found a rabbit lunching in a crowd of birds.
The rabbit's presence didn't seem to bother the quail, and vice versa.
In a place this isolated, you need as many friends as you can find.









No comments: