(c) 2010 Lydia Hinshaw
NORTH RIM, AZ -- The Kaibab squirrel is like no other and lives in only one place, the Kaibab Plateau upon which the North Rim's Grand Canyon Lodge is perched.
I saw dozens of Kaibab squirrels this summer, or maybe it was just the same one dozens of times. They darted across the road in front of the van I drove on the job. They taunted me any time I walked, camera-free, around the property.
When I was carrying a camera, Kaibab's might as well have been extinct. Last week, knowing my remaining days here were in single digits, I spent two mornings walking around trying to shoot one.
This is the only one I spotted, and I got off three rapid-fire frames before he disappeared up a 40-foot ponderosa pine.
All around the lodge, ordinary ground squirrels and chipmunks constantly harass tourists for handouts, in the process posing for thousands of photos. Kaibabs never stoop so low, and for that I admire them.
As for their photographic challenges, well, I'm just sorry I didn't have the patience, or the luck, to get a good picture.
I saw dozens of Kaibab squirrels this summer, or maybe it was just the same one dozens of times. They darted across the road in front of the van I drove on the job. They taunted me any time I walked, camera-free, around the property.
When I was carrying a camera, Kaibab's might as well have been extinct. Last week, knowing my remaining days here were in single digits, I spent two mornings walking around trying to shoot one.
This is the only one I spotted, and I got off three rapid-fire frames before he disappeared up a 40-foot ponderosa pine.
All around the lodge, ordinary ground squirrels and chipmunks constantly harass tourists for handouts, in the process posing for thousands of photos. Kaibabs never stoop so low, and for that I admire them.
As for their photographic challenges, well, I'm just sorry I didn't have the patience, or the luck, to get a good picture.

No comments:
Post a Comment