Thursday, June 18, 2015

The answer to 113-degree days

©2015 Lydia Hinshaw

A 50-meter pool with a view

 ORO VALLEY, AZ -- In our third full week of our Tucson housesit, we discovered the Oro Valley Aquatic Club.
 We had been going to the nearby YMCA to work out, but have been unable to swim because the pool is small and lap swimming is only available from 5:30-7 a.m.  The rest of the day is taken up with swim teams, swim lessons and aerobic classes.
  I have no problem swimming at 5:30 a.m., but I also need to take Cooper the dog on a long walk each morning.  And it has to be very early to beat the heat.  Usually we are out wandering the neighborhood from 5:30-6:30.
 So we have been making do with the community pool, which is great for cooling off, but barely 10 strokes long and not practical for the 2000+ yard workouts I like to do.
 We were out driving around the other day when we spotted the sign for the Oro Valley facility.  Back at the ranch, I looked it up on the Internet and discovered it is huge, with a 50-meter pool plus a smaller 25-yard pool for swim lessons, kids' activities and less committed swimmers, like Prince Charming.
 On Tuesdays and Thursday mornings, the 50-meter pool is set up for long course swimming, with several lanes open to the public.  A day pass for senior citizens is $6.
 I never miss the opportunity to swim long course, which allows me to get into a longer distance groove, and cuts in half the number of turns I have to make.
 So Tuesday and Thursday this week I got to swim in this beautiful pool.  During breaks, I got to gaze up at a wonderful mountain, which unfortunately is backlit in this picture and looks much better in person.
  And more swimming is on my calendar for Tuesday and Thursday next week, which will be our last full week here.
 

No comments: