Monday, September 11, 2006

On the edge



Copyright 2006 Lydia Hinshaw

CARCROSS, YT -- Montana Mountain has fascinated me all summer. Its slopes are littered with the debris and the history of 80 years of silver mining endeavors, all of which failed for one reason or another.
Sunday, Prince Charming and I hiked on Montana Mountain with three friends from Carcross, one of whom knew a great deal about the mountain's flora, fauna, history and, most importantly, its hiking possibilities. We are sorry we didn't meet him in May instead of September.
It wasn't the perfect hiking day -- I'm not sure my shoes will get dry before we get back to Florida in late October -- but we loved it.
I went higher on the mountain than anyone else, but each time I thought I would be able to see to the other side, I found more mountain looming ahead of me, and cold rain falling ever harder.
The Prince lagged behind, as he always does when he thinks I should turn back but knows better than to say so.
This photo captures the contrast between the bright colors close to us, and duller yellows and greens far below that are dimmed by fog and rain.
The body of water way down there is the Windy Arm of Lake Tagish. To the left of the Prince, looking like a tiny piece of gray ribbon, is the Klondike Highway, the scenic road we've traveled daily now for more than four months.

No comments: