Saturday, September 09, 2006
The picture I almost got
CARCROSS, YT -- When I snapped this picture, the puppy on the bottom was asleep with his chin on the ground. The puppy on top was asleep with his chin on top of the white puppy's head.
Since I was using the small point-and-shoot instead of the bigger, more responsive camera, I had to wait that annoying digital eternity after I pushed the button before the darn thing actually fired.
In that time, something woke up both puppies, and this is the picture that survived. (You can click on the image to enlarge it, I think.) Still hard to beat puppies for good old-fashioned cute.
I lucked into good weather in the Yukon Friday afternoon when I took 23 tourists from six countries north to pan for gold, visit the wildlife museum and, of course, pet the puppies, who are between three and four weeks old now.
This is the third litter of puppies brought to the tourist attraction Caribou Crossing this summer by musher Michelle Phillips, who will race in the Yukon Quest dogsled race this winter. These little ones and their five littermates are the offspring of two of her top dogs.
They won't be race ready for two more years at least, but I know this winter I'll be googling "Yukon Quest" to see how Michelle and her team are doing.
Meanwhile, back in Skagway today it's raining (regular readers of this blog will not be surprised at this news.) Prince Charming and I didn't feel like another long road trip this weekend, so we've been holed up in either the public library or the wi-fi coffee shop most of the day.
Tomorrow, we're planning a hike with some Canadian friends up near Carcross, where it's much less likely to be raining.
We have nine work days left, and 12 days before we catch the ferry out of here. Not that we're counting or anything.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment