Copyright 2007 Lydia Hinshaw
DENALI NATIONAL PARK, AK -- We expected to see lots of wildlife in Denali, but seagulls? We're more than 200 miles from the nearest saltwater.
Yet there they are every day, hanging around the employee dining room looking for scraps, or perching on a railing at some riverside pullout, hoping some tourist will toss them a cracker. Their calls remind us of home.
These are mew gulls, who come to this area to nest in the very short summers. Once the weather chills again, they'll head back to their winter homes along the West Coast of the Lower 48.
The mew gull in the picture was taking a bath near our cabin when I came home a couple of days ago. We can boast a waterfront place at the moment, thought he water is just a giant puddle. Given the condition of his bathwater, I'm surprised this fellow still sports so many bright-white feathers.
Prince Charming and I have both started working now, so we have less time to run around chasing animals. It's nice, though, to start accumulating some hours, and putting some future paychecks in the pipeline.
Yet there they are every day, hanging around the employee dining room looking for scraps, or perching on a railing at some riverside pullout, hoping some tourist will toss them a cracker. Their calls remind us of home.
These are mew gulls, who come to this area to nest in the very short summers. Once the weather chills again, they'll head back to their winter homes along the West Coast of the Lower 48.
The mew gull in the picture was taking a bath near our cabin when I came home a couple of days ago. We can boast a waterfront place at the moment, thought he water is just a giant puddle. Given the condition of his bathwater, I'm surprised this fellow still sports so many bright-white feathers.
Prince Charming and I have both started working now, so we have less time to run around chasing animals. It's nice, though, to start accumulating some hours, and putting some future paychecks in the pipeline.

No comments:
Post a Comment