Saturday, May 26, 2007

Fox on a rock

A fox standing still, but only briefly

Copyright 2007 Lydia Hinshaw

DENALI NATIONAL PARK, AK -- This time, I had the right camera.
With the day off Friday and no big plans, I set out with our best camera and lens to see what I could see. I headed first to the Post Office to mail a check for my homeowners insurance (ouch!), and then continued west toward the Denali Visitors Center.
I was walking through a campground area that is not very populated this early in the season, although shuttle buses come through every few minutes. This fox wandered out of a bus-stop shelter not 30 feet from me, slinked across the road and then hopped up onto this rock for just a second. I managed to get off a dozen frames before he went out of sight.
My Denali wildlife guide calls this fellow a "red" fox, though he looks pretty gray to me.
This picture was shot about two miles from our cabin, and on the other side of the swift-running Nenana River as well. It's unlikely that he's the same fox who lives near us and never comes out unless he knows I'm carrying my delayed-shutter point-and-shoot instead of the rapid-fire SLR.

No comments: