Copyright 2008 Lydia Hinshaw
LEE VINING, CA -- Here we are in Lee Vining again, enjoying a mental-health evening after six straight days on the job.
The motel where we stay offers us a room more than twice as large as the cabin we live in in Yosemite Valley. What's more, it has a bathroom attached, and free wi-fi. Best of all, there are no partying 20-somethings outside our room.
Just down the road is a Mobil gas station with a gourmet restaurant inside. I am not making this up. Tonight I had fish tacos, with real, fresh fish, fresh mangoes and real brewed ice tea, all things that aren't available in our temporary summer home (except for the iced tea I make myself.) Prince Charming had jambalaya that tasted like it came straight from the French Quarter.
In the morning, we'll walk down the street to a diner that has great blueberry pancakes.
In other words, Lee Vining is a treat.
Earlier Tuesday we did a 14-mile hike to Vogelsang High Sierra Camp in the Tuolumne area of Yosemite. It was another perfect day, the only sort of day that dawns here this time of year. I particularly liked the clouds, which reminded me of the "painted on the sky" line from the John Denver son "Country Roads," which was about West Virginia rather than California.
We have Wednesday off too, and we'd like to do another hike. But our feet are threatening to veto that plan.
The motel where we stay offers us a room more than twice as large as the cabin we live in in Yosemite Valley. What's more, it has a bathroom attached, and free wi-fi. Best of all, there are no partying 20-somethings outside our room.
Just down the road is a Mobil gas station with a gourmet restaurant inside. I am not making this up. Tonight I had fish tacos, with real, fresh fish, fresh mangoes and real brewed ice tea, all things that aren't available in our temporary summer home (except for the iced tea I make myself.) Prince Charming had jambalaya that tasted like it came straight from the French Quarter.
In the morning, we'll walk down the street to a diner that has great blueberry pancakes.
In other words, Lee Vining is a treat.
Earlier Tuesday we did a 14-mile hike to Vogelsang High Sierra Camp in the Tuolumne area of Yosemite. It was another perfect day, the only sort of day that dawns here this time of year. I particularly liked the clouds, which reminded me of the "painted on the sky" line from the John Denver son "Country Roads," which was about West Virginia rather than California.
We have Wednesday off too, and we'd like to do another hike. But our feet are threatening to veto that plan.

No comments:
Post a Comment