Copyright 2008 Lydia Hinshaw
BRIDGEPORT, CA -- Tuesday's hiking adventure left us in no condition to walk very far on Wednesday. So we set out to explore the Twin Lakes area south of here.
A resort called Mono Village is on one of the lakes, some 13 miles outside Bridgeport at the end of a dead-end road. I like places at the end of the road, so I was intrigued. But instead of the quiet, secluded area we were expecting, we found a miniature Lake Tahoe, with vacation homes, a marina, a trailer park, motel, campground, gift shop and a lot full of cars. We didn't stay long.
On the way out to Mono Village we'd spotted some cars headed up a nearby mountainside on a dirt road. I convinced Prince Charming to take the turnoff. And so for half an hour or more we wound around several canyons on an increasingly narrow, bumpy road with a steep drop-off on the right.
A sign eventually pointed us in the direction of US 395, the main road we needed to get back to. For what seemed like more miles than it surely was, we bounced along on this ledge, looking longingly at the toy-sized semi-trucks inching silently along the highway far below.
How could we be lost, I pointed out, when the main road was in plain sight? Finally the road began to descend and we got back onto the pavement, drove back to Bridgeport for lunch and then back to Lee Vining, CA, to check out the Mono Lake visitors' center.
It was not one of my favorite days off, but it was better than working.
A resort called Mono Village is on one of the lakes, some 13 miles outside Bridgeport at the end of a dead-end road. I like places at the end of the road, so I was intrigued. But instead of the quiet, secluded area we were expecting, we found a miniature Lake Tahoe, with vacation homes, a marina, a trailer park, motel, campground, gift shop and a lot full of cars. We didn't stay long.
On the way out to Mono Village we'd spotted some cars headed up a nearby mountainside on a dirt road. I convinced Prince Charming to take the turnoff. And so for half an hour or more we wound around several canyons on an increasingly narrow, bumpy road with a steep drop-off on the right.
A sign eventually pointed us in the direction of US 395, the main road we needed to get back to. For what seemed like more miles than it surely was, we bounced along on this ledge, looking longingly at the toy-sized semi-trucks inching silently along the highway far below.
How could we be lost, I pointed out, when the main road was in plain sight? Finally the road began to descend and we got back onto the pavement, drove back to Bridgeport for lunch and then back to Lee Vining, CA, to check out the Mono Lake visitors' center.
It was not one of my favorite days off, but it was better than working.

No comments:
Post a Comment