Copyright 2008 Lydia Hinshaw
LEE VINING, CA -- We've found the Sierra High Camps to be intriguing hiking objectives in Yosemite. Those who can afford it, and who can get reservations, can spend a week walking from one camp to another, with platform tent accommodations and meals provided at each stop.
The three camps we've visited have been six miles or less from the road, so we've been able to hike there and back in one day.
Monday we walked about 12 miles round trip to Glen Aulin, which is the prettiest camp we've seen. It's right on the Tuolumne (TWALL-oh-me) River at the base of a waterfall. The river is suitable for swimming and fishing.
In the early part of our hike, we were passed by a group of tourists on horseback. One was wearing an orange Gator T-shirt, so I yelled a greeting.
In their riding helmets I didn't recognize them at first, but this was a family I know from back home, and see regularly in the course of my winter job at the YMCA. The horse-train moved on before we could have much of a conversation, but I'll be looking forward to seeing these folks at the pool next fall.
The three camps we've visited have been six miles or less from the road, so we've been able to hike there and back in one day.
Monday we walked about 12 miles round trip to Glen Aulin, which is the prettiest camp we've seen. It's right on the Tuolumne (TWALL-oh-me) River at the base of a waterfall. The river is suitable for swimming and fishing.
In the early part of our hike, we were passed by a group of tourists on horseback. One was wearing an orange Gator T-shirt, so I yelled a greeting.
In their riding helmets I didn't recognize them at first, but this was a family I know from back home, and see regularly in the course of my winter job at the YMCA. The horse-train moved on before we could have much of a conversation, but I'll be looking forward to seeing these folks at the pool next fall.

No comments:
Post a Comment