Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Horses make noisy bedfellows

The horses quieted down at breakfast

Copyright 2008 Lydia Hinshaw

PESCADERO, CA -- We thought the smell of the horses was bad enough.
Little did we know they were unhappy campers and insomniacs to boot.
I was so tired I slept undisturbed for nine straight hours. But Prince Charming says the horses raised hell all night, just as they were doing before I fell asleep.
Imagine someone whacking a metal garbage-can lid with a baseball bat. I'm not sure how the horses were doing this, but that's what it sounded like. Perhaps they were kicking an empty water trough.
Whatever they were doing, they did not seem happy. Once someone showed up to unload hay early Tuesday morning, things quieted down.
We spent the day wandering along the coast, often in energy-sucking deep sand. We stopped often to empty our shoes.
Part of Año Nuevo State Reserve is across the highway from our campground. (Año Nuevo means "New Year.")
A few miles south is the part of Año Nuevo where elephant seals hang out. We hiked out to get a look at them. Most were resting on the beach like so many bags of blubber, but a couple were chest-rubbing in the shallows. The docent on duty explained they were young males, practicing for the day when they will get into bloody battles in competition for the affection of the ladies.
I didn't like any of my seal pictures, so I've settled on a hiking/scenery shot.

Hiking in Año Nuevo State Reserve

No comments: