Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Lawn ornament, Goldfield style

©2015 Lydia Hinshaw

Which came first, the car or the tree?

 GOLDFIELD, NV  --  This little town is full of things you wouldn't see anywhere else.  I've been here nearly a dozen times and although a lot of it is familiar now, there's always something I never noticed before.
 Like a Joshua tree, apparently deceased, that must have been growing for years out of the remains of an ancient automobile.
 This display is on a vacant lot between a bar and a cafe, which are open "sometimes," according to my relatives who live here.  "Sometimes" doesn't include the Fourth of July weekend. Or any other time I've ever been here.
 The big action here on the Fourth was the annual barbecue.  The local fire department contributed a well-cooked pig and local cooks added sides and desserts. The soft ice cream machine distributed free vanilla and chocolate.  The Prince and I ate too much, fell asleep early and missed the fireworks.
 
 
 
 

No comments: