Copyright 2007 Lydia Hinshaw
KLAMATH FALLS, OR -- I ordered my first meal from a senior citizens menu Monday night.
I was horribly disappointed that I wasn't carded. The 20-year-old server apparently had no problem at all believing I was past 55. Perhaps she put in her contacts backwards.
I should have been prepared for this. In the summer of 2005, when I was working in Montana, I occasionally went swimming at a recreation center in Lethbridge, Alberta. The young woman working the desk always gave me the senior citizen rate (62 and over) without even asking if I qualified. And I was a mere 54 at the time.
Oh well.
Prince Charming and I spent the day working our way through Oregon to reach Crater Lake National Park, which we got into for free on his Golden Age Passport. We had hoped to spend the night in or near the park and do some hiking there tomorrow.
Alas, the only affordable lodgings in or near the park were the campground ($10 on the Prince's Golden Age Passport) which would have been fine except that the one nearby restaurant had closed for the season. We're equipped to camp out, but not to cook, plus, we had neglected to stop for groceries earlier in the day.
So we pressed on another 40-something miles to Klamath Falls, where we found a big, comfy motel within walking distance of a Borders Bookstore and a Safeway. Not what we'd planned, but we can live with it.
I was horribly disappointed that I wasn't carded. The 20-year-old server apparently had no problem at all believing I was past 55. Perhaps she put in her contacts backwards.
I should have been prepared for this. In the summer of 2005, when I was working in Montana, I occasionally went swimming at a recreation center in Lethbridge, Alberta. The young woman working the desk always gave me the senior citizen rate (62 and over) without even asking if I qualified. And I was a mere 54 at the time.
Oh well.
Prince Charming and I spent the day working our way through Oregon to reach Crater Lake National Park, which we got into for free on his Golden Age Passport. We had hoped to spend the night in or near the park and do some hiking there tomorrow.
Alas, the only affordable lodgings in or near the park were the campground ($10 on the Prince's Golden Age Passport) which would have been fine except that the one nearby restaurant had closed for the season. We're equipped to camp out, but not to cook, plus, we had neglected to stop for groceries earlier in the day.
So we pressed on another 40-something miles to Klamath Falls, where we found a big, comfy motel within walking distance of a Borders Bookstore and a Safeway. Not what we'd planned, but we can live with it.

No comments:
Post a Comment