Friday, September 21, 2007

One more mountain to stalk

Rainier: Not as tall as McKinley, but still impressive

Copyright 2007 Lydia Hinshaw

PACKWOOD, WA -- Prince Charming and I, having no particular plan other than to wander around Washington, decided over breakfast in Quincy to check out some kind of salmon festival in Leavenworth.
On the way there, we spotted a big mountain in the distance. It was a clear day and the peak looked impressive. Consulting my road map, I concluded that it had to be Mount Rainier, which I'd never seen from this direction before.
We spent all summer trying to get pictures of the usually cloud-shrouded Mount McKinley in Alaska. It didn't take us long to scrap our plans for Leavenworth and adjust our course for Rainier.
After a stop for gas and provisions in Yakima, we set out for Mount Rainier National Park. On the way, we found a good viewpoint to shoot this photo (and several very similar ones.)
Upon arriving at the Park, we learned that several roads are closed for repairs, and were directed to a different area for better viewing of the mountain.
I was tired of wandering by this time, so we retreated here to Packwood where we found a nice room for a decent price spent the afternoon reading and napping.
Perhaps tomorrow we'll follow the ranger's directions for more pictures of Rainier. Or perhaps something else will strike our fancy. The Internet tells us it's still hot in Florida, so we're in no rush to get home just yet.

No comments: