Park Road rest areas can remind you of bus depotsCopyright 2007 Lydia Hinshaw
DENALI NATIONAL PARK, AK -- The days have crawled by these past few weeks. Summer -- and our jobs -- felt permanent.
In the past 24 hours, everything has changed.
Sunday night, I got my work schedule for my final week here. Because my days off will be Wednesday and Thursday, my last day of work will be Sept. 11 instead of Sept. 13.
Monday morning, fall bared her teeth for the first time. Denali woke up to temperatures in the 20s, ice on windshields, frost on flowers.
Just like that, summer is over and we are nine days away from our Sept. 12 departure.
Also on Monday, because I had no other reasonable choice, I turned 57 years old.
I prefer to think of it as the third birthday of my new life. Since abandoning full-time employment in 2005, I've spent one birthday in Glacier National Park in Montana, one in Canada's Yukon Territory and this one, a normal workday on the Park Road in Denali.
No need to wish me a happy birthday -- I have happy everydays now.
In the past 24 hours, everything has changed.
Sunday night, I got my work schedule for my final week here. Because my days off will be Wednesday and Thursday, my last day of work will be Sept. 11 instead of Sept. 13.
Monday morning, fall bared her teeth for the first time. Denali woke up to temperatures in the 20s, ice on windshields, frost on flowers.
Just like that, summer is over and we are nine days away from our Sept. 12 departure.
Also on Monday, because I had no other reasonable choice, I turned 57 years old.
I prefer to think of it as the third birthday of my new life. Since abandoning full-time employment in 2005, I've spent one birthday in Glacier National Park in Montana, one in Canada's Yukon Territory and this one, a normal workday on the Park Road in Denali.
No need to wish me a happy birthday -- I have happy everydays now.

No comments:
Post a Comment